Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Journal Six: Thoughts on Mango Street

Overall, I liked the book. It was an easy read and a hard read. It was easy because it was composed of short stories. It was hard because it was her life. It told about the good times and the bad times. It dealt with how she struggled through it. I would say its weaknesses is that it was somewhat hard to follow because it was composed of short stories. I had a hard time tieing it all together at first. The strengths were that her creative writing made it seem real to the reader. It made you feel like you were there by the way she described things. I learned from this book to definitely appreciate what we have. I also learned that you should always remember where you came from. Some people may not like their past, but that is what made them who they are. If they forget where they came from, they could forget who they are.

My favorite story was "A House of My Own". I liked this story because all her life she wanted to live in a house. A real house. " Not a flat. Not an apartment in back. Not a man's house. Not a daddy's. A house all my own. With my porch and my pillow, my pretty purple petunias. My books and my stories. My two shoes waiting beside the bed. Nobody's garbage to pick up after." She wants it to be just hers and she doesnt want to have it because a man gave it to her. She doesn't want to be like Sally whose husband won't let her out of the house. She is independent and this much reminds me of myself and how I want to have a place of my own. She wants to be happy and on her own in her house.

4 comments:

  1. I agree that Esperanza really want a house of her own and want to be free or independent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. The fact that the book is composed of short stories does make it hard to piece things together sometimes, but I think the story that you chose sort of sums up the theme of the entire book in one paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, this book was easy but hard to read. I like how she describes her dream house too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes !I agree that Esperanza is a really special, unoque and independent girl. She wanted to escape from the fate that every woman has in the Mango Street which is marry a man they don't love so as to get away from the neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete